Sunday, December 19

Research Diary, no. 5

My Research Diary:
Part to-do list...
Part dear diary...
Part Nosy-Nellie...

Weekly events, plans (and a question or two) from my oh-so exciting genealogy (and sometimes non-genealogy) life...

"History is neither written nor made without love or hate."
- Theodor Mommsen (1817-1903)

~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~

What happened this week:

Blog housekeeping...

  • Changed my Blogger Profile picture to an actual "me" picture ;) and added the profile widget to the blog's sidebar.
  • I separated out two more lists from the main label gadget:: Locations (other than those covered in "Ontario Counties & Districts") and Cemeteries & Churches.
  • I've added 24 new-to-me blogs to my reading lists - see below (though I'm sure there will be more, as always!)
  • I started charting out a rough draft of a blog schedule - as per one of my goals for the new year...
  • More new followers! Who knew I'd have something interesting to say ;-)   Hello to everyone (new and old) and thanks for reading!  I think I've followed everyone in turn, but if I haven't please let me know!
  • I edited the About page and added a header pic [though it may change, something just isn't sitting right...]
Genealogy:

  • I finished the "52 Weeks to Better Genealogy" challenge for week 10 (Family Search Pilot) and posted the challenge for week 11 (Transitional Genealogists Forum)...
  • Regular features included Tombstone Tuesday (Oshawa Union), Wordless Wednesday (a second Valcartier postcard), Tabloid Thursday (1911 fashion), and a 2nd (and just for fun!) Blog Carol (with Bob and Doug McKenzie)...
  • My Brick Walls page is posted (though it's only bare bones at the moment...)
  • More housekeeping: began (or rather, continued...) indexing and properly labelling documents (currently on births); also still working on FGSs...
  • I'm currently reading Alison Gernsheim's classic Victorian and Edwardian Fashion: A Photographic Survey, Dover Publications, 1981 (originally published as Fashion and Reality (1840-1914) by Faber and Faber, 1963).  And of course, all of my ILLO's have come in at the same time, so I'll be doing a lot of reading in the next 3 weeks...
New-to-me blogs:


What's coming up:

  • I was thinking of becoming a FamilySearch Indexer - does anyone else do this? What do you think?
  • Tombstone Tuesday and Tabloid Thursday make an appearance...
  • ...and in the middle, Wordless Wednesday continues with my "mini-series" of Valcartier picture postcards.
  • My results for Week 10 (Transitional Genealogists Forum) of "52 Weeks to Better Genealogy" and a new challenge post for Week 12 (Archive & Library Sites).
  • Still mulling over ideas for Military Monday, as well as another personal regular feature inspired by The Wandering Genealogist's Ancestral Profiles... [I like schedules, can't you tell? ;-) ]
  • Barely a week after I posted my Research Plan, the newest CoG edition (due January 1, 2011) was announced - about genealogy plans!  I would like to take part, and I'll probably expand (and add!) to my goals section...
  • Haven't started (and probably won't start until the holidays when I'm off work) working on my planned Resources page...

Weekly Question ('cuz I'm nosy! ;-)

How do you tag/label your blog posts (if you blog) and how do you (if you do) showcase them on the sidebar/bottom of your blog (list vs. cloud, number vs. not numbered, alphabetically vs. most popular, one long list vs. specialized lists, etc.)? 

Whenever I find a new blog, one of first things I do (beside read the posts!) is to see how everything is set up - I'm always on the look-out for ideas!  There's always something different, which is good!

Thanks for reading!
Jenn

6 comments:

Kathy Reed said...

Jenn,
I love everything about your blog. I want to learn how to add pages with tabs at the top of my blog like you are doing. I've seen so many others do this and can't seem to figure out how within the blogger software. Could you point me in the right direction?

I'm sure this is the first of several questions I have.
Kathy Reed (Family Matters)

Jenn said...

Hi Kathy:

Thanks for the comment - your blog is wonderful! 60 pages! Sounds like a university paper! ;-)

To add pages, the easiest way is to click on Posting and instead of selecting/using the "New Post" link, choose "Edit Pages". Click on the blue button "New Page", located just under "New Post" and it will give you a blank box that is set up just like a post.

You can then enter what information you want, title it whatever you want and when you're finished, select the orange button called "Publish page".

The bar just below your title will appear automatically, with one button called home and the second with your new page!

Does that make sense? Let me know either at the blog or you can email me at canadiangenealogy@hotmail.com. I'll be happy to try and answer any further questions - I'm not the most tech-savvy person, but I know the basics! ;-)

Jenn :)

BDM said...

I wish I could be as productive as you in a week :-) You have a very good-looking blog. Re labels: You've inspired me to try playing around with mine. I hate that lo-o-ong list running down the side to infinity. And thanks for the tip about adding a page!

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I just found your blog and I'm enjoying your "Research Diary" posts very much. I'm much too disorganized to sum up what I've done over the past week, but it would help me focus to see it in print! Something new for me to mull over in my mind for the new year...

Jenn said...

Hi Brenda:

It only looks productive - it's usually just fiddling around with little bits - and not a lot of actual research (yet)! Though I'm still not satisfied... (sigh) ;)

Jenn

Jenn said...

Hi Heather:

The "Research Diaries" are mainly for my own benefit (sort of an informal research log), but I'm glad someone else is enjoying them nevertheless! Thanks for reading!

Jenn