Wednesday, December 1

Distractions (Research Diary, No. 3)

After an unexpected absence of almost 10 months, I (think) I'm back... ;-)

Life, work, and other distractions got in the way of any genealogy-ing.  But in the midst of my final week of vacation (and with the impending holidays), I've decided to dust off my research and my blogging...

I've changed the background (since my old background was gone anyways and Blogger changed its layout...), fiddled around with a few odds and ends, while otherwise contemplating my next major move. 

Changes to the sidebar:
  • added a Welcome message
  • got rid of the profile pic and blurb...while adding a link to my blogger profile in the welcome message
  • added decorative dividers (to break up the text)
  • added a brief label legend (it began brief, anyway...)
  • separated surname labels from the rest of the labels
I was also thinking of separating out the location labels from the rest of the labels, but I haven't quite decided yet...

Changes elsewhere:
  • the background and format
  • added the "share buttons" (facebook, email, twitter, etc.) to the bottom of posts

Let me know what you think!

As for the "52 Weeks to Better Genealogy" feature (hosted by Geneabloggers), I am planning to start where I last left off (since it's a very useful series...).

Therefore, I need to finish weeks 8 and 9 (which I both posted initial entries for, but never got around to finishing...ahem).  Since I began initially with week 6, I also think I'll head back to the first and work through weeks 1 thru 5...eventually. ;-)


I think that's all for the moment.  It's getting close to 11 p.m. and my brain shut down for the night about an hour ago...

Jenn ;-)

12 comments:

Joan Miller (Luxegen) said...

I like the colours and design of your blog. Great job! I am looking forward to reading your genealogy blog posts.

-Joan,
fellow Canadian genealogist

Caro said...

Welcome back! Your blog looks beautiful - I especially like the cemetery photo at the top. I have a question - how did you separate out the surname labels from the rest of the labels?

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

Welcome back! The blog looks great. Let me know if you need any of the weeks in the 52 weeks series. I can pull them for you.

Jenn said...

Hi Caroline:

Thanks! I love cemeteries, so I couldn't help but choose the header!

To separate the labels,

* Click on the Design tab on your dashboard

* Click "Add a gadget" on your layout

* Scroll down the list to find the "Label" gadget and click the plus sign

In other words, the same way your original label gadget was added!

* In the pop-up, I changed the title from "Labels" to "Surnames", clicked on the Show Selected button and from there could edit which labels I wanted to show.

* In the original "Labels" gadget, you also have to click on the Show Selected button and edit out which tags you don't want to show (surnames, since you have them elsewhere...)

The only thing with choosing which tags/labels you want/don't want, is that each time you add a new label, you have to go in to whatever Label gadget you want it to appear in and add it specifically. In other words, it's not added automatically.

Does that make sense? I'm not very good at instruction (one of the reasons I never became the teacher my mother wanted me to be!) ;-)

Jenn

P.S. I love your posts!

Jenn said...

Hi Amy:

Thanks for the comments and the offer! I actually found them through the Geneabloggers site under the tag name, so I'm good.

Jenn

TCasteel said...

Welcome back - genealogy is life long thing anyways...so we knew you'd return ;-)
Love the decorative dividers on your sidebar.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Geneabloggers!

Jenn said...

@TCasteel: Thanks! It's funny how no matter what you do (move houses, lose research, gain some distractions), you always come back to genealogy! ;-)

Jenn said...

@amandasathenaeum: Thanks! It's such a great network...and I know I'm going to get sucked in to the daily memes... ;-)

Jenn said...

Hi Dr. Bill:

I'm looking forward to the daily themes, especially Tombstone Tuesday! ;-)

Thanks for the welcome,
Jenn

Anonymous said...

J'ai appris des choses interessantes grace a vous, et vous m'avez aide a resoudre un probleme, merci.

- Daniel

Jenn said...

Salut Daniel: Je suis content que je pouvais l'aider! Avez-vous blog?
Jenn