Monday, February 22

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy : Week 8 (the challenge)

Amy Coffin of the We Tree blog presents "52 Weeks To Better Genealogy", a series of weekly genealogy prompts / suggestions / exercises that (hopefully) will help anyone to become a better researcher.

The challenge for week 8:

Discover online map collections. Historical maps are wonderful tools for historical research. Fortunately for genealogists, many map collections are located online. Some of the more prominent collections are: the American Memory Collection at the Library of Congress, the David Rumsey Map Collection, and the Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection at the University of Texas at Austin. Take some time to browse each of these collections. You may also want to check the library web site of your local university (or one near your ancestral home) to see what maps they may have online. If you have a genealogy blog, write about any special maps you find during this activity.

I'll post my results later this week...

2 comments:

Mole said...

I'm all for maps, especially old Ordnance Survey Maps where the family historian can see where the ancestor lived, the name of his farm or his street. It's rather like stepping into a pavement picture (Mary Poppins, remember?) and entering the ancestor's world. Revelation! Incidentally some of my Scots (Hamilton and Bell) 'commuted' between Canada and Scotland.

Jenn said...

I love old maps as well!. When I first began my research, I used to pore over the hard-bound editions of the county/township maps for Ontario produced in the 1870s/1880s.